Sunday, September 2, 2018

CBS Sunday Morning, Again


This morning as I enjoyed my Sunday ritual I could not help but wonder how many times I have written something for this blog as a result of watching CBS Sunday Morning.  So, I opened the blog and used the search operation to find out.

I won’t say I was surprised by the result—six identifiable articles--but it was interesting to see the results.  The subjects triggered by the program are varied as you might expect, but as with the blog itself, they usually covered something in the human-interest field.  Occasionally, some tragedy drew my need to respond.  Listed below are the articles I have written for the blog along with a current comment and URL for the original article.

Failure To Ask

October 3, 2010

Desperation and despair leading to suicide, especially among teens and young adults, led to writing this article.  Unfortunately, the same emotional elements active in 2010 are still largely unresolved.  The story of Rutgers University freshman, Tyler Clementi, triggered a swift and widespread reaction in many media outlets.  It is tragic that today we are facing a similar breakdown in civility leading to divisiveness and outright hateful bigotry.  This, for me, is laid largely at the feet of the person currently occupying the oval office.


Just A Regular Sunday

June 2, 2013

I wrote this shortly after moving from my apartment in Beaverton to a manufactured home community in Dallas, Oregon an historic small town farming community.  Since living here I have realized how it is changing.  It will always be a rural community, but housing projects in development are abundant.  Being just fifteen miles from Salem it is a “bedroom” community within easy reach of employment opportunities, many government related, since Salem is the State Capitol.  A somewhat sad note has to do with the fact that the hometown high school mascot is “The Dragons,” an unfortunate reference to the early days of the Ku Klux Klan in the area.  Yes, Oregon has a history of racism that at one time prevented black folks from moving into the state.


Today Is A Good Day To Be Alive

June 28, 2015

A morning walk following my CBS viewing brought me to a new “friend” and a recaptured sense of being alive.  Maybe you will catch the spirit of life as well.


It Won’t Be the Same Anymore

September 25, 2016

This article was a reflection upon 22 years of Charles Osgood hosting the morning program.  I could remember most of the celebrated stories since I had watched this program since its inception many years ago.  Jane Pauley became the new host and the quality of programming has continued to be a delight.


It Wouldn’t Be Sunday Morning Without CBS

July 9, 2017

Here I recount one of my daily walks, usually along the Rickreal Creek path.  This path wanders through the city of Dallas following the creek.  There are brief areas where the path development is not yet constructed.  My walk is along a more recently finished stretch.  At the end of the article are a number of photos.  Enjoy!



Living For the Day

July 29, 2018

A worthwhile word of advice for us all.  Live today!  Live it with joy and a positive, hopeful vision of what can be.  Since writing this I have noticed the gentleman I referred to every day continuing his walk through the community—sometimes twice during the day.  He is wracking up multiple miles.  I wonder if his credit card is giving him advantage miles!



No comments: