Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Another Memory

Last week yet another special person in my life made her transition. My former mother-in-law, Doris Baltzell, finally released her soul from the body that had served her well for over 90 years.

Doris remained a good friend long after I was no longer part of the “family,” even though we had few exchanges directly due to my being geographically separated. I was always welcomed in the family home I first visited while still in high school in the 50’s.

What I remember and what I admired about Doris was her shy, yet humorous interaction with me. She had a twinkle in her eye matched only by the twinkle in the eye of Leonard, her husband who preceded her in death by many years. I spent many hours at their kitchen table sharing stories and experiences. She is missed, of course, but she is already walking the path of light beyond our vision. And in the words of the poet, James Dillet Freeman. She

Walks along the road of life that never ends.
She will find it is not death, but dawn.
We do not doubt that You are there, as here,
And You will hold her dear.

God bless and guide you, Doris!

No comments: