Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Tangled Connections

I recently purchased a laptop computer because my desktop is about seven years old and was beginning to make strange noises and operating slowly. Also, I am planning a trip and wanted to have the laptop so I could maintain my “connections” while away from home. As luck would have it the more accustomed I became to the new laptop the more my old computer acted up. I managed to get all critical documents and programs transferred to my laptop, so I felt fairly secure knowing that if the worst happened (a total crash) I could survive.

Because I wanted to maintain the desktop PC so I could use it for miscellaneous purposes and not load a lot of unnecessary cookies etc. onto the laptop, I decided to see if there was anything I could do to fix it. I managed to take the machine apart three or four times, remove the hard drives, fool around with the CMOS and BIOS information (don’t ever do this!) and get it all back together. Several times it even worked! I have diagnosed what I believe is the problem: I have a bad circuit board, a key to healthy operation. Now I have to decide whether to put money into having a professional fix it or just say goodbye to my faithful (up to now) friend.

It occurred to me how like a computer we are in some respects. Of course, much has been said about how like a computer our brain is. I realized that with all the various wires involved in connecting printers, scanners, modems, monitors and all the other stuff it should not be surprising that problems would crop up. It is here that I see some comparisons to our lives. If the wiring is mixed up with a computer, you will not be successful in its use. If our mental/emotional wiring is mixed up, we will not be successful in our operation either.

Every day we add information to our consciousness. As that information accumulates we either keep it organized or we allow it to become a jumbled mass of disconnected possibilities. The “operating system” we are born with is responsible for our ability to turn on and get started with our lives. It is our inner circuit board and is key to our healthy operation. The various “software” we add are the purpose-specific programs we learn through experiences that enable us to be productive and to grow in wisdom and understanding.

Sometimes, however, due to emotional overload, challenges in our relationships, or situations that seem to demand more than we are capable of doing, our ”system” fails us. Our “connections” to our daily living seem hopelessly entangled and we have to take ourselves apart to examine our inner workings, our operating connections—our spiritual image/pattern. After meditating quietly ideas may present themselves to us that guide us in some specific action, perhaps forgiving someone who appears to have wronged us in some way. The guidance may be to make an employment change, or move to a new neighborhood, or look up old friends with whom you can reconnect.

After we have done all we can we may need to utilize our backup system and consider getting expert assistance through a counselor, minister or a trusted confidant.

Finally, the following quotation from the August 29, 2008 Daily Om (http://www.dailyom.com/) may help you begin your journey to healing all that concerns you.

When we can be honest with ourselves about what we truly desire, then we can connect our desires to the creative power of the spirit within us. Knowing that we are one with the energy of the universe allows us release any need for defense. Trusting that power, we know that we are exactly where we are meant to be, and that challenges bring gifts of growth and experience.

No comments: