Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Sun Also Rises


I am reposting this article originally published 7/12/2009.  Someone had Googled the phrase which brought up my article on the list of responses.  When I reviewed it I felt it applied to the way I feel now.  With all the political turmoil friends, families and others are discussing--sometimes with civility and sometimes not--the various sides of the issues.  This often results in frustration, anger, disappointment and even disillusionmnet.  Maybe this article will help each of us remember that all things change and we can be a positive part of that change, or not.

I borrowed this title from Ernest Hemingway, who wrote of the undercurrents of suppressed emotions and buried values of the weary and aimless expatriates after World War I. The characters serve as metaphors for society’s lost optimism and innocence after the war. Hemingway borrowed the title from Ecclesiastes 1:5, which I’ll get to in a moment.
As with many of the articles I write , this one came to mind as I began a meditation. I was feeling quietly upbeat and excited about a noticeable change of direction in my life. I was experiencing my own new sunrise. I thought about a series of challenges that I had been working to resolve. I realized, almost without knowing it, that I had broken through. It was nothing singularly dramatic. Rather, it was the accumulation of small things, much the same as the feather that finally tipped the scales in my favor. Old friends visited. New opportunities came about. A new sense of direction emerged.
In my meditation the framework was first a brilliant, golden-red sunset over the deep blue ocean waters (a personal favorite and often photographed vista). Even as I saw the sunset, I knew the sun was, at the same time, rising triumphantly for those beyond my horizon. Of course, that led to knowing that the sun would also be rising for me within a matter of hours. That is the point where I realized it already had, and that was why I felt jubilant and free.
Those familiar with the book of Ecclesiastes will probably remember the verses that contained the term, “. . . the sun also rises.” Let me share the context with you.
The words of the speaker, the son of David, king in Jerusalem.
Emptiness, emptiness, says the Speaker, emptiness, all is empty. What does man gain from all his labour and his toil here under the sun? Generations come and generations go, while the earth endures for ever.
The sun rises and the sun goes down; back it returns to its place and rises there again. . . . All streams run into the sea, yet the sea never overflows; back to the place from which the streams ran they return to run again.
–Eccl. 5:1-7, NEB

Life is full of cycles as indicated in the text above. Sometimes we forget that the sun will rise again. The life-sustaining rivers running to the sea and returning as rain to the mountains go on endlessly. Even though we feel ourselves in the darkest of the night, it is at that very moment the dawn begins to break. If we can just remember this and maintain our faith in the outworking of good in our lives, the sunrise will shed new light that reveals ways to meet whatever challenge is before us. Even if it takes more than one sunrise, we can count on it rising over and over again.
My life is really not different from anyone else’s life. If I have any advantage at all, it may also be my greatest disadvantage. Strangely, the more you know, the more you are responsible for. If you know the principles of electricity, but fail to properly apply them, you are in danger of harm. If you know that a treating others with respect is the right thing to do, but then disparage them behind their back, it is likely to eventually come back to haunt you. If you know there are sharks in the water but you go swimming anyway, you have no one to blame but yourself for any harm done. Of course, ignorance is no excuse either, but somehow our problems are compounded when we clearly act in a way that is out of harmony with principles of living.
We may feel depressed at times. We may feel we are wandering aimlessly in a world of discontent and negativity. Conditions all around you may seem hopeless. In times like these it is important to draw upon your deepest convictions and faith in the restorative cycles of life. The fresh rains will nourish the rivers that in turn nourish the land as they return to the sea to begin the cycle yet again. This same rejuvenating, healing power is within you. You have a source of wisdom to draw upon that unfailingly will guide you through the darkest hours of your life. The sun of new hope will rise again to enlighten your path. I find this to be true for me. I believe it is true for you.
Comes The Dawn

After a while you learn
The subtle difference between
Holding a hand and chaining a soul
And you learn that love doesn't mean leaning
And company doesn't always mean security.

And you begin to learn
That kisses aren't contracts
And presents aren't promises
And you begin to accept your defeats
With your head up and your eyes ahead
With the grace of a woman
Not the grief of a child

And you learn
To build all your roads on today
Because tomorrow's ground is
Too uncertain for plans
And futures have a way
Of falling down in mid flight

After a while you learn
That even sunshine burns if you get too much
So you plant your own garden
And decorate your own soul
Instead of waiting
For someone to bring you flowers

And you learn
That you really can endure
That you are really strong
And you really do have worth
And you learn and you learn
With every good bye you learn.

Veronica A. Shoffstall

4 comments:

Inspector Clouseau said...

At this stage in my life Dan, I believe that it is virtually always "the accumulation of small things...." Nice piece.

Dan said...

Thanks, Inspector. Always glad to hear from you. Glad your blog is posting again!

Inspector Clouseau said...

The "cycle" issue is one which we could embrace with more understanding right now. For some reason, a substantial segment of our population seems to think that our economic situation was to improve and move upward indefinitely, and that the rollercoaster car was never to go down. These same people seem to think that we are supposed to be the No. 1 world power indefinitely, and that our actions over the past 4 years are the cause for our fall from the top.

All of that is just ridiculous. Cycles exist in everything in life. To ignore that is very dangerous and self-defeating.

Dan said...

I suppose we would all like the improvement, economically and otherwise, to ever upward. You are correct of course that life is made up of cycles, or pendulum swings. That said, I believe we have a part in lessoning the effects of radical swings/cycles by how we act/react when we realize the nature of the cycle we are within. Complex, I suppose. Just saying that we have a part in the character of the changes that come about.