Sunday, October 21, 2007

A Rising Tide

The other day a good friend forwarded an email item to me that was exactly what I needed at the time. As you who have email know, there is no lack of articles, jokes, opinions, and etc., which seem to arrive every few minutes in our mail. Most them I either delete quickly or scan to see if there is something unique or timely that interests me. What I received was “Has Anyone Told You . .?” I watched the video several times, each time feeling more connected to special people in my life.

Later, as I lay down for a brief nap, the video again came to mind and I thought about thanking the person who sent it to me for brightening my day as it did. One thought led to another and suddenly I found myself thinking about how many folks seem afraid or embarrassed to let someone know they have been particularly helpful. Somehow they may think that if they confess that they needed the uplift that the other person may think of them as weak or needy. As I continued to explore the thought the old saying came to mind: “A rising tide lifts all boats.” One thought tumbled after another and I realized that whenever we find a way to be helpful to someone we are raising the tide of consciousness that begins to lift the consciousness of everyone. Each time we accept the blessing someone sends our way, we are letting our boat of consciousness rise with the tide.

Another way of saying this is from Jesus: “And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.” (John 12:32) We are social beings and we are meant to share with one another in a multiplicity of ways. Sometimes the sharing is comfort and strength. Sometimes we offer understanding or patience as a friend seeks a better way of living his/her life. Other times we may be the one who brings what appears to be a harsh presentation of the “cold facts.” Jesus acted in all of these roles. Essentially, He was always whatever the moment required. He fed the hungry, healed the sick, raised the dead, and forgave sins. Jesus stood as a prime example how a rising tide (uplifted spiritual consciousness) raised all boats (individual consciousness of Truth) to a greater expression of their potential.

So, when my friend helped lift my consciousness into a greater sense of all-encompassing love, it gave me the opportunity to continue the process for others. Now love is making the rounds to those who can receive it. There are no conditions. You either accept being loved or you don’t. You love others or you don’t. It seems to me that as we pass on the spirit of love we are like the rising tide lifting others. When we are so apparently bereft of feeling loved we are like the low tide that often leaves those around us feeling somewhat like a boat resting on the mud flats. A new tide will come inevitably, but will you rise to the occasion? Will you accept that you are loved? Will you dare to express that love to others?

I encourage you to view this video: (http://www.hasanyonetoldyou.com/)

No comments: